Tuesday 27 June 2017

Gratitude 107

As some wise person whose name now eludes me once said, Life is that happens while we're busy making other plans.  Or something like that.  This happened yet again yesterday, just after dinner.  The fire alarm in my building went off and off we all, or some of us anyway, filed out of the building to gather together on the sidewalk.  No one seemed to be coping well.  No one complained really, they all just stood there on the pavement looking grim and kind of miserable.  Some lit cigarettes, not even troubling to create some kind of safe and courteous distance from their nonsmoking neighbours.  I was already set.  I had thrown my sketchbook and colouring things into my knapsack, in case I wanted to stop somewhere for a cold beverage and a bit of artwork, and decided that I was not going to be numbered as one of the miserable among the miserable.  It was a beautiful summer evening and, fire or no fire, I was going to enjoy the fresh air and late sunshine.

I wasn't particularly worried about the fire, knowing that it was likely a smouldering kitchen disaster from a tenant trying to cook something.  Confident that everything would be resolved quickly and promptly, I mentioned to one of my neighbours "I'm going for a walk."  When he nodded indifferently this rather confirmed to me that it would be a waste of breath inviting him along.  I would simply have to keep my joy to myself and go walking alone.

I found myself feeling rather sorry for my neighbours, and for people in general.  I don't know if too many would embrace this kind of emergency as an opportunity to find or create some legitimate sense of enjoyment in life.  Most people tend to be creatures of habit, and slaves to routine.  I am guilty as charged.  I also think that most of us live in a spirit of fear and that this fear hobbles us in so many ways.  The very idea of exploiting an emergency for one's own growth and enjoyment simply does not occur to most of us.  We would far rather cower under our beds, frightened and timid, whimpering and praying that soon it will be all over. 

It was, by the way, an absolutely enjoyable walk.  I got to chat a bit of Spanish with a visiting Mexican family of tourists and I also redirected them so they wouldn't be lost.  Then I petted a friendly dog, a Rottweiler- Husky cross, and chatted a bit with his equally friendly human.  I sat on a bench in a little park and savoured the view of trees brilliant with golden evening light and the contrast of cobalt blue shadow.  I said hi to other friendly people and found my way back to the building, still standing and without scorch marks.  I returned to my apartment following a half hour walk and resumed my usual routine as though nothing had happened.

But something did happen.  I took a potentially troubling and stressful situation and turned it into something positive and enjoyable.  I got some exercise, enjoyed the evening sunlight in the leaves and was able to somehow touch my community.  I feel that much richer.


No comments:

Post a Comment