Tuesday 6 June 2017

Gratitude 86

I am grateful that things eventually work themselves out.  All it takes is doing our part and taking care not to neglect any necessary details.  Not always easy, this, as a lot of us really would rather that someone else do all the heavy lifting.  I don't think that any of us ever really fully, completely grows up or wants to grow up.  We always want to know that Mom and Dad will be around to cover our sorry little hienies for us, and if not Mom and Dad, then some appropriate (or inappropriate) stand in.  I just reread my tax assessment from the information I had to ask them to send in the mail.  Having given Canada Taxation my email address was interpreted as passive consent for not getting the information mailed to me.  I have had to be on the phone with them several times so far.  When my notice of assessment finally arrived in the mail yesterday I felt assured that my problems were taken care of and that I would be able to get all the information in to my apartment manager before the June 15 deadline for the annual rent review.

When I noticed that my refund had not yet been deposited in my account I reviewed the notice of assessment, only to see that they just have information for the year before (2015) and absolute squat for 2016.  Had I not been hoping for Mom and Dad to take care of everything I likely would have read the damn thing more carefully the first time.  I called the number indicated but the office will be closed till tomorrow and so I will just have to keep trying.  This isn't going to be easy because I am usually at work office hours, but I'll try to do what I can on my work phone.

My building managers might accept it anyway because the amount I earned last year is clearly indicated.  I will have to ask, rather than just assume and hope that Mom and Dad will come to my rescue just in case.

I am also grateful that my laptop has not only been fixed, but appears to be in better working order than ever.  This is the first time in more than two years that I haven't had to wait at least twenty minutes for it to restart.  I am also a bit embarrassed about how glad I am to have my laptop again, rather like being reunited with a missing loved one.  I can't even claim to be particularly swallowed up by the Internet.  I spend perhaps a half hour a day on my blog, maybe another half hour watching Spanish documentaries on YouTube and perhaps another half hour on emails, Skype and other social media and perhaps fifteen minutes looking at assorted garbage.  Less than two hours, which isn't a lot.  I still refuse to get a smart phone, neither can I envision myself being so tech dependent that I'll find myself walking into lampposts outside while checking my Facebook status or stepping in dog shit while watching crazy cat videos.

Yes, my use of my computer is of relatively modest proportions.  But I am still, like every subscriber to Internet, a tech addict.  I still must have my precious.  Like Gollum.  Yes, Gentle Reader, Google and others have all conspired like the Dark Lord to enslave us all to the ring of power: free and unlimited Internet and now we are all Gollum slavering and longing and possessing like the Holy Grail our Precious.  Our Precioussssssssssss!

No comments:

Post a Comment