Wednesday 27 May 2020

Postmortem 52

I imagine that some of you, Gentle Reader, must be already familiar with the tale of David and Goliath.  If you are, or have been Christian, of course you would know the story.,  If you happen to be a Biblical literal fundamentalist, then you are more than likely to believe that it is historical fact.  I wouldn't know, myself, given that as far as a lot of the Old Testament is concerned, you could call me a biblical agnostic.  But I still think there are pithy lessons and insights to be benefited from by reading these stories that are to be found throughout the Old Testament, the New Testament, and also the Apocrypha.  But we shall stay on topic, shall we, darlings?

David, as you know, was still a teenage boy when he confronted Goliath, the giant from the Philistines (those were not necessarily people who didn't appreciate art and culture by the way, they were the Phoenicians and other peoples who happened to live in what is now Palestine, Israel, Lebanon and Syria.  The Philistines and the Israelites did not like each other much.  This by the way was all going on at around three thousand years ago. 

Now David, a scrawny but handsome boy of around sixteen or seventeen or so, was armed only with a few stones and a leather sling for hurling them, while Goliath, likely four or five times the kid's size, was all decked out in armour and fighting swords.  Hardly an even match.  David had been offered armour and proper weapons, but they were too heavy and cumbersome for him, and he wanted to rely on his wits and agility, a decidedly less is more kind of approach.  David killed Goliath with his first stone that he hurled from his leather sling, then he took the giant's sword and cut off his head.

And this illustrates why I have repudiated the Anglican Church.  In order to fit in, to integrate with such a cumbersome religion that is so far from the very Christ that they purport to serve, I would have to accept the very cumbersome and suffocating baggage of said religion.  Like the armour and weapons that David rejected in order to fight in the way that best suited him.  So I now must go free, naked, into the wilderness, armed by my own frail and human vulnerability, by which alone I can truly and legitimately and honourably and effectively serve my Christ, my Lord and my Master, who became for me and for all the rest of you my darlings so naked, frail and vulnerable. 

Remember, Gentle Reader: our strength is made perfect in our weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment