Wednesday 9 April 2014

A Florist's Refrigerator

I heard someone chirp in the elevator today about how much a sunny day can cheer her day.  I suppose she's right.  It is nice and sunlight does have a beneficial effect on our emotions.  I didn't want to pee on her granola by carping about how cold it still is, like being inside a florists' refrigerator, as an old friend of mine used to describe springtime in Vancouver.  I also like sunshine, by the way, but my recent month in Mexico has conditioned me to associate sunshine with unpleasantly high temperatures, smog, difficulty breathing and walking like a ninety-five year old man climbing rather a steep hill.  But it is nice to see the bright colours of the day and the bright blue of the sky and the fragrant clean air that blows off the sea.  It never is quite perfect, but nothing is really.  A lovely walk in a park in June can be often accompanied by a sore foot, or music sullied by an unpleasant memory.  Our conditions will never be ideal, or as we think they should be, but it remains in our capacity to cultivate joy.  As some of you know from reading yesterday's post, my step cousin Lanice has died recently and I am in mourning, given that we were close and I have been more inclined today to notice the cold air than the brilliant sunshine but I still notice the colours and the fragrance in the air and the furtive birdsong and even if I can't say that I am outlandishly happy, then shall we say that I know that I am blessed and that I will likely always have too much to be grateful for to write in one post on this dear little blog.
     I have eaten and enjoyed today a lovely homemade dish of a vegetarian curry with yam, sweet potato, plantain, tofu and other good things with fresh strawberries for dessert to be followed with chocolate.  I am one of the poor in my country and I live like royalty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment