Friday 4 April 2014

Benediction

I'm spoilt.  Spoilt rotten.  Right now I am sitting in front of my own computer, eating semi sweet chocolate chips and drinking a glass of cold milk.  I am listening to some of the top radio journalism in my country and looking at my collection of books in Spanish (almost two hundred) that swell my book shelves.  I enjoy a fluency in Spanish rare for someone who has never studied the language in university nor lived for a few years in a Spanish speaking country.  Before the chocolate chips I enjoyed fresh strawberries for dessert.  I work in a field and career that I love, assisting sufferers of mental health difficulties towards recovery, rehabilitation and an improved quality of life and wellness.  I live in the best climate zone of my country and even though this is among the world's most expensive cities, Vancouver, I have the blessing of affordable rent, so affordable that I can afford despite my low wage  to take an annual vacation of at least a month in a Spanish speaking country which does wonders for helping me improve my Spanish.  I attend a church community, Anglican, that for all it's flaws is an inclusive and faithful gathering of people who want to serve God well and live out his love one towards the other.  I have an amazing diversity of friends, good people full of integrity and good will as well as interesting, funny and enjoyable to be with.  Though in my late fifties I enjoy good health and am even losing weight that I need to lose.  I enjoy nature, flowers, birds, trees.  I can paint, write.
     For all that I have lost and suffered in the past years of my life it is clear to me that now God is restoring me.  These are blessings.  Not entitlements.  May I never lose sight of this.  May the little I have and the little I am become a vessel for the beauty of the Lord and may my life become an offering of his love to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment