Saturday 25 April 2015

My Dream Book Of Birds

This is not a dream journal that I am working on.  Rather I am making real a persistent dream I have been having over the years.  This is the dream: I will be in an antiquarian bookstore somewhere or a library where I come across several volumes of books full of beautiful illustrations of gorgeously colourful birds set in gold.  When I went to Colombia I brought with me a sketch book given me by a lovely couple in my church (thanks again Doug and Heather!) and decided to fill it with full colour drawings of beautifully coloured birds, beginning with birds of Colombia.  It is going very well so far.  I finished eight drawings while in Bogota and back here in Vancouver I am working on number twelve.  Here they are in sequential order: I will begin with the Shining Honeycreeper:
 
Followed by the Paradise Tanager:
 
and the Yellow Backed Oriole:
 
 
I saw two of these while in Bogota
 
and:
 Then I drew one of the local hummingbirds in Bogota (I saw two there)  They are called Sparkling Violet Ears:
 
 
Here is the bird that followed, Blue Necked Tanager:
 
Then I drew three Golden Tanagers:
 
 
Here is the Violet Tailed Sylph, a Colombian hummingbird I began in Bogota and finished in Vancouver: 
 
Since I returned I am still doing images of Colombian birds.  Here is a Glistening Green Tanager:
 
 
As well as a Turquoise Honeycreeper:
 
 
a White Tailed Trogon:
 

And right now, last but not least, I'm doing another hummingbird, called a Fork Tailed Wood Nymph:
 
 
Anyway I hope this hasn't bored you, gentle reader.  This book of bird images is for me and for me alone.  A couple times in Bogota people asked about buying my art, but this is my dream book of birds and they are not for sale.  If anyone likes any of these drawings enough to want to own one then I am open to commissioned paintings based on the images.  Otherwise, they're all mine.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment