Monday 20 March 2017

Costa Rica 19

I often feel like I´m the only solitary traveller in Monteverde.  Maybe it´s because I am the only solitary traveller in Monteverde.  Or almost so.  I really have trouble understanding how any couple can vacation together for two weeks or so, being constantly together, always in each other´s faces, and often tripping over each other, without somehow jeopardizing their romantic union.  Or killing the thrill anyway.  Or maybe you just have to be built for it, just as some of us are designed to travel solo.  I don´t think this has anything to do, really, with not doing well with other people, or with not being able to cope well with solitude.  I think we really are all built a bit differently.

I have noticed in other situations of travel that when you have a few solo travellers staying in the same establishment, they tend to interact more and often develp new friendships.  I suppose this also happens sometimes with couples but I´d say it´s pretty rare.  Most of the couples I have noticed here at the bed and breakfast in Monteverde seem pretty absorbed in each other.  I imagine, too, that some of them might be working out problems in their relationship, hence, the vacation together.  I did run across a couple of friendly couples (am I allowed to phrase it this way?  Well, I did, so let´s get on with it, eh?)  There was that really nice young British couple I already told you about, as well as, I think, a lesbian couple from England and France respectively.  The two women and I actually were pretty shy of one another for a while, then eventually friendly curiosity took hold, and we had a couple of brief but very enjoyable chats.  But they seem more the exception.  One of the less pleasant such pairings were two rather wealthy looking Ameircans, suspected Republicans.  Yesterday, when Mr. Suspected Republican was asking the manager about the route to the cloud forest reserve I mentioned casually, and in a friendly way, that it´s a lovely walk if the road isn´t muddy.  He looked and replied in such a tone of voice as to suggest, how dare someone of my low social status presume to speak to him.  This morning we were at neighbouring tables, ignoring each other.  I did enter with a bit of a flair, I have to admit.  You see, the hotel keys are attached to a large wooden butterfly.  I have only to let it drop on the table and it makes quite a bang.  So, the passive aggressive imp inside me took control, I waltzed into the breakfast room and simply dropped the wooedn butterfly on the table and what a bang it made.  They looked postitively frightened and this of course has turned into my own dear little way of announcing I´m here, so get used to it!

Nothing else to report today, really.  I spent two hours in Cafe Cabure, that expensive place with the huge balcony where I spent around thirteen bucks Canadian for a decaf coffee and brownie with ice cream.  You could say I only go there when I am feeling stinkin´ rich and that doesn´t happen too often.  I also had a nice visit at the soda with the señoras.  We were talking about dogs and I mentioned to one of them how in Vancouver and elsewhere in North America people have gone absolutely barmy over dogs and treat them like family members and substitute children and four-legged best friends forever.  She doesn´t think that´s healthy.  I told her that I totally agree with her but don´t dare open my mouth about this at home because dog owners simply have lost their reasoning capacities when it comes to their furry little babies.  (sorry, dog owners, but I am not sorry for writing this!) Oh,  and have I mentioned that dogs are allowed to wander around freely here?  Everyone´s totally chill about it and all the dogs are gentle, some are friendly.  But I think it works okay because the dogs are not treated as honorary humans and they simply know their place in the community.  It´s amazing some of the conversations my skills in Spanish are opening up for me down here in Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment