Friday 10 March 2017

Costa Rica 9

Today I shelled out and visited one of the major cloud forest reserves, Curi Cancha.  This is the same place I used to hike in for free when I was last in Monteverde in November 2010.  It was private land then, and I kept going back until I was summarily kicked out for trespassing.  Now its a reserve and you have to fork out the equivalent of 20 bucks Canadian for the privilege.  It is even more impressive than I remember it, perhaps because the trails have been extended.  I plan to go again next week, to spend perhaps a good four or five hours.

I only ran into other people twice during my two hour hike.  One was a group of around a dozen Americans gawking at a quetzal in a tree.

Image result for resplendent quetzal google images


There was with them a young Muslim woman blocking the path with her telescopic camera tripod.  And she looked a bit offended when I politely asked her if I could get by.  She seemed rather incongruous with her hijab and heavy eye make up, but each to her own, eh.  She rather refreshingly reminded me of Canada as here in Costa Rica there isnt the kind of diversity we take for granted and, mostly, enjoy in the True North Strong And Free.  Still, I do get kind of bugged when someone publicly displays their religion while still behaving like inconsiderate idiots. But really, I dont care if youre wearing hijab, a Sikh turban or a ten pound crucifix round your neck.  When you make a public display of your relgious faith there is also an expectation that you are going to do your utmost to reflect the highest values of your religion.  This goes for all of us, no matter what we believe or profess.  I  am reminded of one of my favourite Bizarro cartoons.  St. Peter is interviewing a fellow at heavens gate, looking at the book, and says to the poor soul, It says here that you believe.  It also says that you were being a jerk about it.

And yes, I am expecting to be judged by my own words.  Heaven help me.  Literally!

It seems Im the only person there that couldnt quite see the quetzal, though I did catch a glimpse of the female as she flew in.  Still, I felt sorry for the poor birds, who must get traumatized by all these dumb humans hanging around staring at them with thousands of dollars worth of equipment, and I decided that it wasnt worth seeing the bird while participating in the spectacle.  If I see one while Im here, that would be nice, but Ive noticed a lot of equally lovely birds in Monterverde already, plus I already saw quetzals during my first visit here in 1994.  Maybe once is enough.

I really enjoyed the hummingbird garden.  There are three feeders in a clearing with a picnic table and twice I sat there to enjoy their beauty, while trying to be respectful of the poor little birds. I dont think they noticed me much.  With all the sugar water they were drinking they must have been like regulars in a local crack house.

Later, I had an early dinner at the usual soda.  The ladies who run the place and work there are really nice and I am enjoying talking to them and the Spanish practice is a great plus.  They also seem to enjoy my art.

Im still enjoying the bed and breakfast where Im staying.  I am feeling truly welcome and truly spoilt and the family who runs the place are so enjoyable to chat with, all in Spanish, of course,

The weather seems to have improved.  It does rain at night and in the early morning but there is a lot more sunshine lately.  Because my doctor has ordered me to start covering my head in the sun I have taken to wearing a bandana on my head, since I dont like hats.  The way the sunlight hits the leaves here is something beyond dazzling.






No comments:

Post a Comment