Wednesday 8 March 2017

Costa Rica 7

Im not sure what kind of theme to unify this post around.  Maybe Ill begin with sleep deprivation, which seems to afflict me perhaps two nights out of five.  One would think that here in the beautiful tranquility of the semi wilderness of Monteverde, with nothing to do but draw, hike, chat in Spanish and read in Spanish that there would be no reason in the world for waking up in the small hours of the morning and staying that way for the next two or three hours, but it happens to me anywhere and everywhere so it must simply be the way I am wired and the best thing in the world is to simply find creative ways of living with it, even if it means having to drag my heiny around two days a week in a semi hungover state with no wild partying the night before to justify it.

Its also going to at times affect my mood and put a damper n my ability to enjoy things.  The dreams I have during these periods of partial insomnia are often strident and loud and generally indicate some issues I havent yet dealt with, so Im beginning to think of insomnia as kind of a psychic early warning system for dealing with my crap.  Having lots of quiet time this month, I am going to have to look more within than usual, and I feel ready for this.  This is, for me, primarily a spiritual retreat, though I say Im here to do art, hike and look at birds, but this is what I say to people because most peoples eyes just glaze over when they hear the word spirititual.

Here is an image of the bird I saw today,a summer tanager

Image result for tanagers of costa rica google images

I suppose that grumpiness is its own reward, and because of sleep dep I certainly have been less than cheerful today, but also I try to embrace this as an opportunity to grow, and especially to accept and respect that things arent always going to go the way I want them to.  For example, today at Cafe Cabure, where they have the lovely long shaded balcony with the view, I was hoping for a little peace and tranquility while putting the finishing touches on my peacock drawing.  No such luck with a family of five, three horribly behaved kids to hold everyone hostage and expecially the little girl with perma whine.  I am cutting her some slace, however, as she might have been sick.  But they seemed like a typical North Amercan child centred, or should I say, child dominant family.  You know the kind I mean, Mom and Dad arent really emotionally mature enough themselves to be parents, like most couples of their generation, and their spoilt little brats have them wrapped around their middle fingers.  Likely from having to work long hours at home they feel guilty for neglecting their kids then cave to their every whim and demand.  Its the idea of being your kids friend instead of their parent.  Sorry, but even though I draw the line at hitting, I am a bit old fashioned when it comes to child rearing.  I did have to use earplugs and fortunately they did leave eventually.  Then came the German speaking family with the grandpa who doesnt use deoderant, or bathe very often.  I was downwind.  I couldnt stay.  Yes, hell is other tourists, but I dont think a lot of people travel very well in the first place, especially families.  Everyone seems so rushed to see and do things and go places and check off their bucket list that they only seem to really enjoy themselves when theyre drunk.

This is why I like to take my time.  Not having a car is really an asset.  No, I dont get to see as much or go to as many places but I feel more grounded and more centred in the place where Im visiting.  I think that if you really want to experience the essence of where you are visiting it is important to take your time, walk a lot and to not try to fit too much in.

And to also remember that people are more important than places.







No comments:

Post a Comment