Friday 31 March 2017

Costa Rica 30

I am back in Alajuela where the temperature seems to have cooled down after a stifling thirty-two degrees when I arrived by bus from Monteverde at around ten this morning.  I mostly slept on the way, my earplugs keeping things nice and tolerable for me.  The descent by dirt and gravel road from Monteverde is very long and breath-taking.  There hasn´t been a lot of rain and the fields and pastures suggest August in Canada, so brown and yellow everything is.  And everything is covered with dust from the cars, trucks and buses blowing it onto all the plants and trees..  It´s very sad looking, really, seeing bougainvillea covered with a patina of gray, and hibiscuses bravely showing their best color despite the surrounding filth.

I walked around today in Alajuela in the heat for over an hour and really exhausted myself, then spent three hours in a local café with my sketchbook, consuming a batida de mora, kind of like a blackberry milkshake, and five tall glasses of wáter as well as a huge salad, sándwich and dessert. I had to ask them to pick the ham out of the salad and they were very obliging.  Even though I still found three small pieces of meat there, well, no one is perfect and it isn´t going to kill me and no I didn´t eat it.  I couldn´t help but think of the pig wandering around a sideroad in Monteverde and that poor abused calf a few days later.

Tomorrow morning I fly back to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment