Monday 6 January 2020

It's All Performance Art 71

Germs, peroxide, silver and mental illness


Hey you guys, 
I was just wanting to comment on a couple of segments on your program this weekend, and feel free to respond, as always.  I am also going to make this email into today's blogpost.  Don't worry, the identities of the innocent will be protected!

Saturday morning,  you were having a conversation with a fellow about superbugs (well, it was a recorded conversation, so I can only guess what day it was taking place.  I was wondering why hydrogen-peroxide wasn't mentioned.  I always have this wonder chemical in my bathroom and it has literally saved my life at times, disinfecting cuts, scrapes and wounds, and used as a mouthwash for my not infrequent dental problems.  I actually asked my dentist about it recently, during an extraction (not nice, but necessary), when she recommended that I rinse regularly with salt for a few days.  When I mentioned peroxide she just seemed kind of oblivious and bewildered, as if she had never heard of it before.  But trust me, peroxide works much better than salt.  I was also wondering about the effectiveness of hydrogen peroxide against the so-called superbugs.  Any chance of finding out for me?

I have been using peroxide for the last thirty years or so.  I remember in a house I was sharing with some other people, there was one resident who seemed to have some mental health issues.  As soon as he saw my bottle of peroxide in the bathroom, he flipped and almost yelled at me that "that stuff causes cancer!"  I asked him how he knew.  Mistake.  He got really defensive, and, in the interest of getting on well with my housemates I opted to keep the peroxide in my room so as to not trigger him again.

Copper and silver were both mentioned during the interview, by the way, as having antiseptic properties. Interesting because, when I was networking with EMBERS many years ago (I had a housecleaning business, and was also trying to promote my art), my business coach swore by silver (that has rather a nifty ring, doesn't it?  Swearing by silver).  She used to keep small silver wands (magic wands?) in a basin of water on her desk and really promoted the water's power and effectiveness as a cure-all.  Have you heard anything about this?  By the way, if you think I'm eccentric (and you would have to meet me in person before making that assessment), you should have seen my business coach.  She was a libertarian, did not believe in taxes and seemed rather fond of George W. Bush, who was then the US president.  Or maybe not, my memory is long, but also ageing. (of course, with el presidente Dump now squatting in the White House, I would have to concur that even Dubya actually looked pretty good)

Switching over to your interview with a young musician yesterday, Sunday, I unfortunately can't remember her name.  She has a mental health diagnosis and has chosen to use her songwriting skills and musical talent as a vehicle for destigmatizing mental illness.  I found this interview intriguing and thought-provoking.  First, full disclosure, I am a survivor, and perhaps even an overcomer, of a PTSD diagnosis.  And I am employed as a mental health peer support worker, so this subject is very close to my heart and experience.

I really admire this young woman's courage in being so publicly open and transparent about her struggles and her victories and this is for me inspiring as I'm sure it is for others.  I am  little uncomfortable that this approach could also reinforce stigma.  I think this has more to do with language.  I do not believe that people with mental health issues are actually sick, nor that they should be called mental illnesses.  There are a lot of convincing arguments behind my assertion, but there is not a lot of room here to explore it much, I'm afraid.  But there is something about the word illness that also triggers stigma, and this is sadly inescapable.  I really think that if we're going to openly address mental health concerns then we have to change our language.

This brings me back to a birthday soiree I attended, oh, some twelve years ago or so, maybe ten.  Anyway, I was at my friend's apartment, celebrating his birthday with many of his other friends.  There was one guest present, an elderly lesbian woman and a strong LGBT etc. activist.  We were concurring in our chat that we had come a long way, now that same sex marriage was legally enshrined and more people were openly challenging homophobia.  I mentioned to her that people with mental illness were next on the list for empowerment and for overcoming stigma and prejudice.  This woman suddenly turned vicious and angry and she spat out, "At least we're not SICK!"  Then, she walked away from me.

This is ironic, because my friend is also a PTSD survivor.  In fact, years later he ended our friendship, blaming it on his purported "illness", I triggered him and he had to feel safe.  Which for me was a wake up call.  I vowed three years ago just after the sand termination of our friendship, that I would never use my PTSD diagnosis as a get out of jail free card.  And you know what, Ducks?  These last three years, of refusing to hide behind the mental health excuse, have been my best years ever.

Anyway, I really enjoy your program, I also enjoy when you are guest hosting, even if I bug you about it at times.  But, as an elder, it is my job to keep you whippersnappers in line, eh?

I do hope I get to actually meet you guys some time, but i know we all have busy lives, plus I really respect your need and right to privacy.
all the best

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment