Friday 17 January 2020

It's All performance Art 82

First, let me send out a parent advisory before I proceed with today's screed, Gentle Reader.  This blogpost is going to contain unabashed, uncensored and unabridged Christian content.  If you are a born again atheist, please find something else to do, maybe find someone on social media you can attack (but please don't!).  Likewise sneering agnostics (agnostics of good character and good manners welcome and encouraged to read here, as are open-minded people of other faiths.  I don't pick favourites, darlings.)

In October, I began to memorize, to learn by heart, Jesus' Sermon on the Mount from the fifth, sixth and seventh chapters of the Gospel according to St. Matthew.  I am memorizing it in Spanish, which is my second language.   I am doing this for a few reasons.

Primarily, I want to improve my language skills, and there is something about memorizing beautifully written Spanish and often reciting it when there is no one around to frighten that really helps engrave the language in my deepest mind.  And I am finding that my comfort level in the language has improved, as my sense of ease in moving back and forth between Spanish and English, or simply remaining in Spanish.

I also want to strengthen, improve and maintain my memory.  I believe that I am giving myself double benefit here.  Memorizing stuff in your own language already does wonders for strengthening the memory and neuroplasiticy.  So does learning a new language.  This can only be win-win, this memorizing passages of scripture in Spanish for a native English speaker like me.  I am at the age of senior moments, and like many folks of my vintage I have a vested interest in staving off all symptoms of dementia.  My goal is to go on memorizing scripture in Spanish. After I am done with the Sermon on the Mount, the learning of which could well take me till next summer, I plan to tackle other passages in the Bible in Spanish translation.  Stay tuned.

Of course this is also for me a vital spiritual exercise.  As well as strengthening my Spanish skills and strengthening my brain and helping me maintain and develop new neuroplasticity, this is also a deep devotional odyssey into the very heart of my Christian faith.  By reciting the words that I have so far memorized from the Sermon on the Mount I am reaffirming and more deeply absorbing the truth and beauty of the words of Jesus.  And because I am doing this in my adopted language, the Spanish language itself is plunging deeper into my unconscious along with the words of the Gospel. 

Because I like to walk a lot (a minimum of two hours a day in the winter, minimum of four hours in the summer, if I can fit it in with my work schedule), I also enjoy singing while I walk, if I am in quiet, less populous areas.  So far,  I have learned, memorized and absorbed most of the fifth chapter of Matthew.  The music is improvisational, and I would say that it sounds rather like Portuguese Fado.   Singing scripture that I have memorized in my adopted language, Spanish, beautifies and enhances the experience all the more.  (though I'm not sure that many unfortunate eavesdroppers would be of this opinion!)

I will be sharing more about this in future blogposts Gentle Reader.  Here are the opening verses, by the way:

"Cuando vió a las multitudes, Jesús subió a la ladera de una montaña y se sentó.  Sus discípulos se le acercaron, y tomando el la palabra, comenzó a enseñarles, diciendo..."

(When he saw the crowds, Jesus went up the mountain and sat down.  His disciples approached him, and taking the word, he began to teach them, saying...)

No comments:

Post a Comment