Monday 27 January 2020

It's All Performance Art 92

So then, what are we worth?  As human beings, I mean?  Well, what is the market worth of our bodies?.  I mean the elemental chemicals that we're composed of.  Well, if you were to remove all water from us, and water generally is, or ought to be, free, then you would just have a pile of dust made up of rather common chemical substances that could be cheaply bought anywhere by a chemist.  Maybe around twenty bucks?  Thirty? 

For born again atheists and others that do not believe in the existence of God, Spirit nor in the human soul, this could be a dilemma, and often such imbeciles really have to wrap their inflated heads around all kinds of philosophical conundrums in order to prove that they do indeed value persons.  My take?  We cannot value others without somehow also valuing and honouring God, even if we steadfastly and obstinately deny his existence.  So then, the atheist, the scientific materialist, really is perhaps covertly and grudgingly actually honouring the very God that made us, whenever they choose to respect and uphold our basic rights and dignity as human beings.  It can't really be helped, but how also unfortunate that they are almost never willing to take that sort of thing one step further.  But then that would blow their cover, they would lose the game, and still, instead of acknowledging that God is, would simply insert their oversize heads back into their skanky asses and go on refusing to acknowledge the obvious.

What are we worth?   Especially given that we are more than the chemicals that constitute our bodies.  Are we worth what they pay us for the work we do?  Am I worth the  $14.50 (CD) an hour I get paid for supporting my clients?  Is Jeff Bezos worth the $115.5 billion (USD) that he raked in last year?  He gets rewarded for being ambitious and greedy.  Helping and supporting vulnerable people living with mental health stigma is considered to be of far less value.  What is wrong with us?

By the way, I do not want Jeff Bezos income.  I don't even need a billion dollars.  Nobody needs one billion dollars.  Just enough to live on.  Without having to make sacrifices.  But this also begs the question, are they really sacrifices?  It is easy for me to go without  cigarettes or alcohol, since as well as being expensive are both toxic, dangerous to the health and highly addictive.  I do not miss those things.   I have never owned a car, so really I don't know what it would be like to go without having a personal vehicle.  I have always felt comfortable accessing transit and walking for long distances (great exercise and very calming kind of activity)   I still get by nicely without having a smartphone and I don't even have a cell phone.  A lot of people probably couldn't imagine life without such necessities, but for me they are luxuries and I really don't need or want these things. 

Am I worth more than $14.50 an hour?  Is Bezos worth more than one hundred billion?  Are my clients worth only the meagre pittance they are expected to survive on as a government disability pension?  What makes one more worthy than the other?  Line us all up naked and no one is going to guess the difference.

Bezos, like many highly successful Americans of his generation are obviously graduates of the school of high self-esteem.  I have always been skeptical about the self-esteem movement.  And now we see its fat and bitter fruit, highly competitive narcissists that have basically made things even less liveable for others, while they gorge their craws. 

We cannot put monetary values on persons.  There is something indelibly precious about each one.  This understanding badly needs to be revived, taught, disseminated and absorbed by all of us if we are going to move on in a way that isn't going to result in the complete and total destruction of the human species and of the biosphere that sustains us.

No comments:

Post a Comment