Tuesday 16 June 2020

What's Next? 16

I have had this conversation twice today, with two different people.  It's about how much my life has slowed since this pandemic.  I imagine this to be true for almost everyone.  Even though I am still able to work, it is from home, the hours are flexible, and I often multitask household and creative projects with my professional duties.  Plus, this gives me ample time to go outside for long, quiet and solitary walks, as well as communicate with various and sundry dear friends of mine.

I am almost sure that a lot of us are asking what took us so long to learn to slow down.  This is fine for me, since I am soon facing retirement, so this is like the gradual unwinding that I was anticipating, plus, I still get full wages.  It isn't going to be easy for a lot of others, who still have decades of work ahead of them.   For me, even if my employers go on showing their true colours and keep stripping away my income, I will still have enough in savings to keep me afloat and to finance yet another trip down to Colombia and Costa Rica. 

It is anyone's guess when the travel bans will be lifted, but I know that I'm returning, just as I am certain that much of my future is tied to those two countries and the close friendships I have made there with some really good people.

I am feeling truly blessed in so many ways now.  I have friends, and daily Spanish conversation with some of them.   I am well provided for in every sense of the word.   The future is a big wide door that is already beginning to open to me.  Each day is but a new small step forward, bringing me closer.   Amid the fear and anxiety around this pandemic I feel curiously filled with joy and laughter.

This is, Gentle Reader, but a beautiful madness.

No comments:

Post a Comment