Tuesday 9 June 2020

What's Next? 9

We can only work with what we already have at our fingertips.  And sometimes we do need to make better use of our opportunities.  I was just showing a new friend some photos of some of my paintings, some of which he appeared to be very interested in.  So, playfully, I would tell him if they were still available, and that I might also do a commission if he'd like.  Now, it is not my intention to push my art on him, or on anyone.  I was simply playing with him, in a way.  But then I confided to him after that I used to be generally this brazen when it came to promoting my paintings, because that's how sales and commissions were usually generated.  So, I am crediting my friend today, by letting me practice on him, for helping me get restarted with promoting my art.  There isn't really a lot for me to work with here, but it's all I have right now.  I am going to carry my little photo portfolio of my paintings with me everywhere I go, from now on, and if anyone expresses interest, I will whip it out of my knapsack for them to look at.  And then we'll go from there, Gentle Reader...

I like much this idea, this concept of working with and using what we already have in our reach.  Having come up with absolutely zero success in promoting my art through the internet, and really much preferring person to person contact, I am going to use the tools that I have already available, and see if there are new and different ways of using them.  This is really how I am trying to manage my life in the restricted circumstances we are all sharing in right now.  There is always something positive we can focus on, put our hand to.  There is always something to enjoy, cherish and value and celebrate.  There are always things about our own character and our very imperfect human nature for us to re-examine.  There are myriad opportunities to learn and grow. 

Here where I live in Candela Place, there are always opportunities for being a better neighbour, even if that would mean being a bit friendlier, kinder, and less judgmental of the people around me, and of expressing more gratitude and appreciation to the people who work here.  In my work, I can continue developing this delicate balance between acceptance and assertiveness, because not all the conditions that I work with are particularly fair or just and sometimes I simply have to confront or voice my concerns to others.  Meanwhile, I shall continue to do my level best to deliver quality care and service to my clients, particularly celebrating them as the beautiful people that they are, and likewise towards my coworkers.  But there are variables, and as I just mentioned here, sometimes assertiveness must trump mere niceness when I want to be truly kind to others. 

This also means being a good, and where possible, a better friend to the people with whom I am in regular contact.  It also means being kind and attentive to the strangers around me, even if it simply means trying not to judge or criticize others for behaving like idiots.  Sometimes it also means assertively addressing their behaviour, but also with enough discernment and common sense and tact to know when this would not be helpful.

It can mean so many things, but the first step is to stay close to God, to expose ourselves to the light of the higher truth and to live bathed in the light of the higher love.  Not easy, perhaps.  But neither impossible.  Today begins our training for future change, and perhaps this could also empower us to help change our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment