Tuesday 26 January 2016

Parrots And Donald Trump

I do not know what these two entities could ever possibly have in common.  And I like parrots.  I almost bought one once, rather more like a parakeet.  It was a beautiful little bird called a Sun Conure.



Isn't he (she?) pretty?

I didn't buy the bird.  I had enough money at the time and we did bond rather nicely whenever I visited him (her?) in the pet store.  I had to think it over for a few days.  The bird I reasoned really belonged in the jungle it likely was smuggled from in Colombia or Venezuela, or perhaps it was hatched in captivity.  But it still felt weird and I couldn't help thinking that keeping an exotic bird was really the moral equivalent of taking a hostage.  She (he?) was an incredibly beautiful and affectionate little bird.  Rather like a kitten with feathers.  I just didn't feel I could give her (him?) the home that she deserved.

I'm not a pet person.  I love animals but I think they should all be wild.  I don't even approve really of having cats and dogs but the horse is already out of the barn (pun intended, Gentle Reader!) and the pet industry and people's need for affection from nonhuman sources are such that pets are inevitable.  But not for me.  I for one seek to work against our very human tendency, in my city of Vancouver anyway, to distance ourselves from one another and maintain silent hostile truces.  I for one see people's popular obsession over dogs as a symptom of our mutual alienation.  I am not opposed to dogs or pets.  Simply I would never let myself get into a relationship that is unequal.  With dogs (cat's, bless their retractile claws, are a bit more of a challenge) one receives unconditional love and devotion in exchange for kibble and shelter.  The dog is going to be completely dependent on its human for everything.  It will be like having a three year old child for sixteen years (with a cat it's more like having a teenager for twenty years!).  This is hardly what I would call a relationship between equals and more an admission that we have failed to be truly human towards each other.

Still I particularly love parrots, among other birds.  When they see that you are a safe person they become as affectionate as puppies.  When Victoria used to have its famed Crystal Gardens I used to go in there to hang out with the birds.  The Hyacinth Macaws (from Brazil)



and the Red Lories (Indonesia)



especially loved to be petted and cuddled.  But I would never even think of depriving a bird of its right to fly freely as a vent for my emotional needs.

I recall another parrot I used to pet and play with in a local pet store.  It was a Harlequin Macaw



The bird seemed to want to chew on something so I gently offered him my wooden umbrella handle.  The bird suddenly cowered and cringed as though about to be hit.  This is such a sad memory and I can hardly imagine whom would have abused this beautiful loving parrot.

I am not going to post Donald Trump's image.  Only beautiful creatures belong on my blog.  He wants to kill the innocent family members of accused terrorists which is to say that he is advocating for crimes against humanity and getting away with it.  I appeal to all of you reading this blog and especially my American Gentle Reader to forward this article everywhere and to please do everything in your power to prevent the Donald from getting anywhere near the White House.  Maybe even offer him a one way plane ticket to the Hague?



No comments:

Post a Comment