Sunday 31 January 2016

Power Failure

What I am grateful for is that some of the outlets in my unit still work, most of the important functions are okay, except the bathroom light and fan aren't operating, so I will have to leave the door open till my building manager gets everything fixed tomorrow (today is still Sunday, if you haven't yet noticed, Gentle Reader).  My land line isn't functioning and neither is my computer.  Fortunately I have earphones and the computers in the tenants'common room downstairs are both available.  So, I can still bore you , darling, with my written sweet nothings while listening to a very entertaining current events program in Peru, thus getting my ration of Spanish for listening.  The only real inconvenience is that I have to do this outside of the comfort of my cosy little unit but I think it's good for us at times to be pushed out of our comfort zone.  There is also another tenant here listening to classical music.  He is a very pleasant fellow from Afghanistan.  There are a number of refugees living in my building and this really gives us a piquant international flavour.  On my floor of eleven apartments five are occupied by Latin Americans from Mexico, El Salvador, Peru, Honduras, and Colombia.

I expect that life has to be a perpetual alternating between comfort and, could I say the unexpected? Perhaps adventure?  Or perhaps just pure hellish discomfort and misery?  But I don't think so.  I really do believe that we are the ultimate creators and arbitrators of our own happiness.  I know there are many who can make things miserable for us and there are extreme circumstances, for example torture and sleep deprivation, where we really have little or no say over how we are going to react.

While I was busy typing some of this delightful drivel the Afghani tenant came over to ask me a question about immigration.  I might have taken the attitude that I did not want to be interrupted but instead I walked him through his limited English and answered his question as best as I could.  I also reassured him that we have a new federal government in Canada and that immigrants and refugees no longer need to live in fear as they had to under that odious Stephen Harper and his horrid little minions.  My neighbour seemed relieved and relaxed a little.  I am also well aware that he likely also just wanted to make friendly contact, something that wouldn't have occurred had I stayed in the comfort of my apartment.

A friend asked me in an email last night if I have changed my plans to travel to Colombia in March given the current zeka virus outbreak.  I cheekily replied that I don't expect to be in the family way soon, but really, I don't scare easy.  Well, not that easy, as I also have my moments of squeamishness. I think, rather, that I refuse to let fear run my life or prevent me from enjoying and learning.  In March I am going to Colombia where I will be spending the month hanging out in Bogota, reconnecting with some friends, doing tons of artwork inside charming cafes and taking long urban hikes.  I will also meet new people and speak tons of Spanish.  Is anything going to "happen"to me while I'm there? Will I be sent home in a body bag?  I highly doubt it and even if there is that danger I am still going to live my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment