Wednesday 27 January 2016

This Weather

It's raining again and the wind is blowing.  I did not have enough time to walk outside as I wanted to because of professional commitments and time.  It's been an exhausting day and it goes without saying that weather and season are also factors.  I did manage to carve out a three and a half mile walk this morning on limited sleep before it started raining and then holed up with my sketchbook in a café until I had to get to work across the street for a meeting followed by our annual staff free lunch.  I usually try to walk a minimum of five miles a day and I did manage to add on an extra mile in shorter strolls.

I stuck to the quiet side streets and noticed the luxuriant green of moss covering naked tree trunks providing an illusion of spring.  The new monster homes, despite the beautiful affluent neighbourhood, are uniformly hideous ostentatious bunkers where their wealthy Chinese occupants can safely sleep surrounded by their precious money.

Before you squeal "racism", Gentle Reader, please note that the vast majority of these new wealthy property owners in Vancouver are Chinese and their fancy fortresses are butt-ugly.  I'm not going to play the "I'm not racist but" card and we all know that only a racist would make that comment.  I also openly rebuked an individual (white) in my coffee group yesterday for openly harping about Chinese being rude.  I said they are no more or less rude than anyone else, we're all alike and changed the subject.  I commented later to some coworkers that I really prefer working with people who are younger than me.  They're thinking isn't fifty years behind and they usually are not racist.

Does it bother me that the new wealthy elite in my city is Chinese and not, say, German?  No.  I have run across very presentably Caucasian Germans whom I couldn't stand the sight of because I felt they were douchebags.  I am part German by the way.  And I also have known some very lovely Germans and Chinese and Mexicans and English and Caribbean and ... shall we find something else to bore us, darling?

Despite my tiredness it was a nice walk.  I got everything done to day that needed to get done.  Night has fallen and I am tired.  Outside the wind is blowing the rain at an ugly driving slant and as much as I complain about noisy neighbours I am very grateful to have this little apartment. 

Everyone's quiet right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment