Friday 16 September 2016

Happy Friday!

I seem to be a bit short on ideas today, Gentle Reader, so let's fake it, shall we?  Isn't it a beautiful day today?  This could likely be the last of those special days of late summer and now the summer is dying into Autumn.  I have another name for this in-between season.  I call this Fummer, then comes Fall, which is followed by Finter followed by Winter, then Sprinter, Spring, Sprummer and Summer again.  Eight seasons in all.

The world hasn't ended yet.  We are still on the same planet Earth which has not lost its orbit and still rotates on the same invisible axis.  Whatever is happening because of global warming and climate change things seem to be proceeding as usual, except the small incremental changes, the early thaw and late freeze in the Arctic and Antarctic, the shrinking glaciers, the slowly rising sea levels, and the warming ocean currents disrupting and killing fish migrations, among other things.  It's all creeping along, insidious and more subtle than the serpent in the Garden of Eden.  We really don't know what to expect, nor how it is going to impact us.

I try to do what I can to reduce my carbon footprint.  Not having a car helps tremendously, as does being a vegetarian.  I recycle, maybe not everything, but almost everything: paper, containers, newspapers, organic waste.  On the other hand I fly every year and I hope that by doing so I am not contributing too much carbon to the atmosphere.  I think that on the whole my carbon footprint is very small, more like that of a citizen of a Third World country.  Even small steps matter, like ordering my café beverages in glasses or ceramic mugs.  I think I must have already saved the landfill maybe three thousand plastic and about as many paper beverage containers.

I have seen my travel agent this morning and Monday morning I will be booking my flight to Costa Rica in March.  I never pay anything by credit card.  I have a huge allergic reaction to debt and my idea is that if I can't afford it then I can't have it.  This does make things a little bit constrained in some ways but it has also made me very disciplined at budgeting.  I suppose this makes me a bit of an oddity but I tend to wear my oddness like a badge of honour these days.  Speaking of which, I had to admit to my coworkers today that I haven't had a TV since I was in my twenties.  This was by way of explaining why I couldn`t figure out how to find the music channels on the TV in the programs room downstairs for the weekly art program I facilitate.  It seems that our CD player has "found a new home" which is rather a nice way of saying that one of the clients stole it, so I tried to use the one they keep in a cupboard in the office, but I couldn't get it to work.

It's been quite a random kind of day.  I am waiting for a response on Skype for a friend in the Dominican Republic for some Spanish-English conversation.  If she doesn`t get back to me I`ll just read for a while, do some art work and go to bed early.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment