Sunday 18 September 2016

Seeing Through New Eyes

I always enjoy showing my city to newcomers.  This happened today.  I have a Peruvian friend who has been here for over a year and a friend of his has recently come here for a month.  Today we were introduced for the first time and then we went walking, along the Coal Harbour Seawall

Image result for coal harbour seawall images
, then into Stanley ParkImage result for stanley park images as far as Prospect Point

Image result for prospect point images
where we stopped in a restaurant for a snack with a breathtaking view of the Lions` Gate Bridge, then through the forest and then along the Seawall until we visited the laughing statues at English Bay.

Image result for amazing laughter images

My friend didn`t think I liked the statues, and I have to admit that I know a lot of people who find them off-putting, and many others who love them.  We even saw a little girl cry with fright when her mother carried her over to them.  I couldn`t give a black and white answer because, really, that`s not the way I seem to experience things.  A lot of people will either like something or dislike it.  My experience of things has always been more nuanced.  As I explained this to my two Peruvian friends (even though I have only met once my friend's friend I already consider her my friend and I hope that's okay with both of them because I find them both to be lovely people.) I often don't know what to make of something so I'll simply give it time and think of it as interesting.  It helps me keep an open mind and this way I can easily grow to like new things and people, as I seek to understand them better, I might otherwise dismiss.  It's amazing the things we learn about ourselves through other people.

I also have a special fondness for Peruvians.  Almost every Peruvian I've met I have found to be kind, gentle and humble and very nice to be with.  Or maybe I'm just lucky and I get to meet the good ones.

Seeing my city through my friends' eyes has helped me love all the more the place where I live and for this I thank them both with joy and gratitude and to both these Peruvians who have been so kind to befriend me I dedicate this post.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Aaron!
    Apologize for my delay in responding.
    Thank you so much for your post!!
    It was a pleasure to meet you, thank you for the walk and chat.
    It was great to see Vancouver with you.
    The pictures describe exactly all that we saw, it was awesome!
    You are a great person! Thank you for your time and patience.
    Thanks for show me around your city.
    I hope to see you again!
    Keep in touch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que bueno recibir noticias de ti Gianina. Aqui mi direccion de Skype si quieres practicar los idiomas conmigo aaron.zacharias1

    ReplyDelete