Thursday 22 September 2016

Happy Idiot

Life is not easy.  Sometimes it can be downright horrible.  And then there are those spontaneous acts of kindness.  This morning a woman offered me her place in a coffee shop line-up.  I was reluctant but she insisted.  Then, when it came time for my order I offered her my place.  She insisted that I accept her kindness, which I did.  I have been thinking of this woman's act of kindness off and on today as I have been making a redoubled effort to treat others with kindness and to basically keep my mouth shut when I find them annoying.

There are a lot of idiots out there.  Walking wounded idiots.  They shuffle along whistling behind your head and blowing smoke in your face, or they almost collide into you on the sidewalk where they ride their bikes and skateboards.  They put their gamey feet up on chairs and tables in coffee shops without the slightest indication that they might be aware that they might not the only people in existence.  They let their badly raised children run, scream and squeal all over the place, taking mortal offence if you express annoyance.

I am done with coping, I am finished with resisting, and I am not interested in accommodating.  From now on I will simply say nothing.  I am sick of being sworn at by someone else's badly raised child.
We are all wounded, broken and half destroyed.  Many of us carry great burdens and stagger under broken hearts.  Many would feel their load so much lightened by any act or expression of kindness.  Many would be blessed by the smile and consolation of a nonjudgmental happy idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment