Monday 5 September 2016

How Not To Get Rich 1

If you are really interested, Gentle Reader, in not getting rich, then I advise you to live exactly the way I do.  Hello?...Still there?  Let me repeat myself: live exactly the way I have lived and you will never be rich.  Here's how it didn't happen for me:

I began inauspiciously enough, the son of an auto mechanic for a father and a farmer's daughter for a mother.  They were upwardly mobile and worked hard to buy a spanking new (well, three years old) three bedroom split-level house with three bedrooms and a half-basement.  One bedroom each for my brother and me and one for my parents.  At fourteen, while Mom and Dad were negotiating a bitter divorce, and after experimenting with drugs and learning about alternative lifestyles I became a teenage Jesus Freak.  When I received the gift of the Holy Spirit I knew my life would never be the same.  I barely struggled my way through high school and when I finished grade twelve I was one credit short of graduation.  I had already lived briefly at my father's (he kicked me out after just over four months) and when I went to live with my mother and her then-boyfriend (a violent alcoholic with a criminal record) I really had to give up on any hope of getting a post-secondary education, at least for the next four years.

Unable to stay with either of my parents I celebrated my first weeks out of high school by moving to Vancouver on my own and staying in a ramshackle house with some very challenged adults (at eighteen, I was by far the youngest).  I found a minimum wage job in a factory and got my own modest apartment.  I quit my job four months later and went on unemployment insurance.  I did not make a huge effort to find employment though I did manage to work casually in different situations.  I moved to Toronto for six months where I worked at various low wage jobs then returned to Vancouver for more of the same.  By the following year I had found stable employment and had saved money for college tuition.  With help from my father and a modest Canada Student Loan I eked out a very modest subsistence while not doing terribly well at my studies.

At twenty-two I moved into a Christian community for nine months where I got majorly screwed around and was kicked out because the leader had a grudge against me (I didn't love him back).  I had to find employment to survive so resuming my studies was out of the question.  I was also stuck with a debt owed to Canada Student Loan and they had sicked a collection agency on me.  I could only find low-paying jobs to survive.  Then I ended up as a home-care worker with on the job training and stayed more or less in that position for many years.  I tried to resume post-secondary studies part time but didn't have the emotional energy to continued given the pressures of my fulltime job.

These were some of my logistical obstacles to becoming a millionaire.  Stay tuned, Gentle Reader, for part two tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment