Thursday 24 December 2020

The Peacock 18

 "Well", Carol says, "What did you find out about Father Griffin?  I hope you all realize what a shock this is for me.  He was nothing but support and kindness, ever since I started to confide in him about my struggles while my mother was dying.  I have never met a priest like Father Griffin.  How...how does this square with all the things you are telling us right now?  This is worse than scandalous.  I am just so saddened and horrified hearing those things.  How could they possibly be true?"  


Carl replies, "Yes, I know this is all going to be hard and difficult news for you, Carol.  But please, if I can give you a little bit of background, no, please hear me out."

Melissa has just taken off her ball cap, and suddenly it is clear that she is rather a good looking woman, with her long chestnut hair, and dark, I would say, smouldering eyes.  She is really quite beautiful.  She playfully tries to fit her cap on the cat's head, and the cat, annoyed, squirms out from under it, then proceeds to wash himself.

"First, let me assure everyone here, that I have Father Griffin´s complete blessing for telling you these things.  We have already consulted about this.  In fact, we have spoken several times, and we have arrived at this agreement that we have to be as transparent as possible if we are to be of any value at all to any of you as God's instruments.  This is going to mean becoming privy to our own dark side and our unsavory past.  There is so much that remains hidden and garbage-bagged in the church, and this is where we get our well-earned reputation as hypocrites.  This is not a business model, nor a corporation.  We are simply people interacting together in a way that we hope is going to be redemptive, for all of us, but before this experience can be redemptive, we first have to make ourselves vulnerable.  I know, Carol, not very British, and unfortunately I am but a vulgar Dutchman, but please, do bear with us, please."

Jesús has been seated quietly and intensely focussed throughout.  I cannot see his tattoo from the side where I am sitting.  I suddenly want to look at the peacock feather tattooed on his neck.  This could be turning into an obsession.  I want to ask him what he thinks of everything so far, but this is Carl's time to speak. I will try to ask him before dinner, if I can get him to stop long enough to speak a few words to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment