Wednesday 30 December 2020

The Peacock 26

 Aaron continues, "It really began to hit the fan when a friend of mine told me about a little chat he had with the good father in a gay bar.  There is a little bit of history here.  My friend and I had come to know each other some five years earlier when he was stalking me one evening between bars.  I am sure you would like a little further explanation here, and well, you have been warned that this is going to be a tangled tale.  But anyway, I was back then very involved in a Christian ministry of presence in the gay bars and on the streets with people downtown.  I ended up taking this person into my home on three different occasions, while he was trying to cope with his alcoholism.  We became very close friends during that time, and only friends.  One of the requirements of this kind of ministry is to avoid getting into sexual or romantic entanglements.  But we were still very close.   It also turned out that Father Griffin was a frequent presence in some of those establishments, but his reasons for being there appeared to be rather, shall we say, different from mine.  Even in the church he seemed pretty open about his preference for good looking young males.  But then he had the colossal gall to take my friend aside, proposition him, and in the same breath warn him to stay away from me.  This coming from a priest ministering in the church that I was a member of.  

"On the following Sunday, following mass, I invited Father Griffin to have lunch with me.  I wanted to see if we could become, if not allies, at least not enemies.

It didn't go well.  From the get-go he was hostile, combative, defensive and...hateful.  He refused to consider any suggestion that we might find some way of working together and told me that as far as his whoring around preying on young men was concerned, that he would do whatever the hell he wanted, then started yelling at me about how much he disliked me.  Then he left.  But the worst was yet to come..."


No comments:

Post a Comment