Saturday 5 December 2020

Theology Of Love 41

 Much of love balances on how patient we are.  Or perhaps it is the reverse that is true.  We are more likely to be patient if we already love.  But patience is itself an act of love.   And I am not a patient person.  Therefore, with me anyway, love has to be learned.   Even in the most mundane interactions one is going to be tested.  For example, four times today, at least, I was less than charitable towards strangers in passing.  It started on the bus today, when the driver neglected to signal to the bus in front of him to please wait so I could change buses.  The bus in front drove away, so I reboarded and said to the driver, thanks anyway, and not in a very nice tone of voice.  I suppose he had it coming, because he obviously didn't care to help under the circumstances, but I wonder if I could have been a little more gracious.  Perhaps not.  I think I was dealing with a passive aggressive bully in this particular driver, and sometimes the only way one can really get a point across is by not being very nice about it.


Then there were the two women of size walking very slowly in front of me into Safeway, and I could do absolutely nothing to get past them.  Like everyone else they were in their own little universe, but really, how were they to know that some impatient stranger would be silently cursing their dead ancestors because they happened to be a little bit slow?   I could have done a bit better.


Then there was the little old lady blocking the sidewalk with her walker, and I had to step off the curb and walk in traffic in order to give her room.  Annoying, yes, but she is frail so that actually went a bit better.


I won't mention some of my neighbours in the building where I live and the chronic annoyance of putting up with their noise and carelessness,  There always seems to be an ever present learning curve for patience. The real challenge is going to be in remembering that I am not the centre of the universe.  With love comes facing the truth and humility.  It is not an easy walk, but we have to do this if we are to learn these lessons in order to help us coexist better and help us grow into the best versions of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment