Saturday 26 December 2020

The Peacock 20

 "So, you will understand what a surprise it was re-encountering in Switzerland Father none other than Robert Griffin.  We had just finished dinner and were now doing the washing up.  Then, we caught him just on the way out.  "Robert", I called.  With a smug, irritating little smile, he turned around and said, "You may call me Father Griffin''.    To which I replied, "You are hardly someone I would want to call Father, Robert.  Shall we have a chat outside?  I really don't think so, he said, then suddenly I was on his left and Melissa on his right. We each grabbed him by an arm and frog-marched him outside.  "Here is the deal, Robert", I said to him.  He replied, "I am not making any deals".  

"Oh, I said, "But Robert, have we got a deal for you.  And you are going to listen.  First of all, you do know who we are, I am sure, especially, my sister, Melissa?"  By this time we had released him and he was willingly walking up the road with us.  I told him all about my journalism assignment.  I had already drafted it out.  I spared not one single detail except the most salacious and one other little thing.  I had not yet written in any names.  And if he were inclined to agree to our terms, I would hand in my paper, full anonymity guaranteed.  To our surprise, he agreed. The next day, together we met with the directors of the community.  He confessed everything.  And tearfully begged our forgiveness for so callously shoving us off after his boyfriend had sexually exploited me.  And we also admitted everything.  About our father's suicide, his disappearance, and the money I stole.  For some reason they were going to let that go.

"Now you might be wondering how we managed to bring Robert, or Father Griffin, down without a fight.  But first I need to explain a little about the conditions and living arrangements in our little community..."

No comments:

Post a Comment