Wednesday 3 February 2021

The Peacock 60

 "Yes, my dear father.  He basically raised me.  He never remarried, you know, after my mother's death."

"Your mother.  What is the story about your mother?"

"My father met her in Mexico.  They were on a missionary trip there, I mean people from his church.  She lived in Sonora State in the northwest.  It would have been in the early seventies, or so.  

"An Anglican priest doing missionary work in Mexico?  That is news to me."

"Dad wasn't an Anglican back in the day."

"What denomination was he then?"

"This is going to be a bit of a story.  Ready?"

"Ready."

"First of all, my dad and our friend here, Aaron, actually knew each other.  They were both kids in the early seventies, and involved in the same church.  Have you ever heard of the charismatic movement? This church, St. Margaret's they were called, was pivotal to the charismatic renewal in Vancouver during the early seventies."

"St. Margaret's?  Not Anglican?"

"Reformed Episcopal, which was like a breakaway evangelical wing of the Anglican church, from what Dad told me, but because of all the charismatic irregularities, like speaking in tongues and  healings and prophecies and stuff like that, they were kicked out of the denomination as dangerous radical extremists. Dad would have been maybe around nineteen or so, and he and my two uncles, his brothers with my grandparents were all faithful members there.  They lived in Burnaby.  Well, Aaron was a bit younger, around sixteen, but they all took a liking to him and he was often sleeping over on weekends."

"Does Aaron know you?"

"A little bit.   I now remember him from around St. James.  We even chatted a bit, but funny, I didn't even know it was him until  he mentioned that he'd changed his name.  You see, I knew him before as Greg.  But we chatted a bit last night and he told me a bit about his history.  Had he not revealed to us that he had changed his name in 1995, I would have lost the trail.  But then he told me his original name, Greg Greenlaw, which was how we knew him.  What a small world."

"It is a thousand pities, Cosme, that you are not an investigative journalist.  You have talent!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment