Monday 15 February 2021

The Peacock 72

 Before Carl can interject something, I continue, "In order to understand the kind of role that Kenny had in my life, it might be of value to explain a bit about my father.  First of all, Kenny was almost halfway between our ages.  Not exactly like a second son to my father, not exactly a brother, but kind of both.  And for me, yes, very much a brother, but almost like a second father.  He took this incredible interest in me, in my life and my wellbeing, and Dad, instead of getting all jealous and threatened, encouraged this and simply jumped on for the ride.  My father was a very accommodating and very generous man.   He seemed to know whom to trust, and Kenny he trusted completely and absolutely.  I think that's why he did so well with us, at least as far as he was able."

"You really love him, your  father, I mean."

"I really miss him."

"How did he die?"

"Heart attack.  It was really sudden.  He was a bit overweight, but also had really high cholesterol.   I suffer a bit from this too.  It runs in the family."

"You know", says Carl, "I find it interesting the way so many people seem to have to really state that dying isn't the victim's fault."

"Am I doing that?"

"Ever hear of the fascism of fitness? That's a term of Aaron's coinage.  He'll explain it to you later."

"Dad was just seventy-three."

"Not that old."

"How do you stay fit?"

"Tons of work to do around here, I don't have time to sit around and get fat."  Carl smiles and looks out at the black rectangle in the window. "But please, don't let me interrupt your narrative..."

No comments:

Post a Comment