Saturday 15 March 2014

Puebla, Day Eight

I went out today for comida, the afternoon meal, with the family of a friend who lives there, him, his wife and their two children.  There is nothing like sharing a meal with a Mexican family to get an idea of how central and important family is in this culture.  There are a lot of craft and book vendors out in the squares and pedestrian malls, this being Saturday.  I nearly succumbed and bought something then reminded myself that even when I am travelling I am on a budget.  There are also a lot of live street theatre events in and around the zocalo, for example three men dressed as clowns doing a comedy skit.  Everyone seems to live outside here. I seem to always return to eating enchiladas after sampling other fare here.  I am afraid that when I think of Mexican food enchiladas spring to mind before anything else.  I have never eaten an enchilada that I didn't like.  It is the one Mexican dish I would happily die while eating (not necessarily from eating.)
     I asked my friend why in Mexico they paint all the tree trunks white.  They do look rather absurd, as though they are teenage boys wearing white tube socks.  He said it's calcium based white wash to prevent the spread of disease.
     One of the hotel staff asked me if I would change a large bill for him, 500 pesos or $40 Canadian.  I did it willingly but I kind of wonder about the professionalism in this kind of transaction and I know that it is often difficult to change large bills in this country except in a bank, so I am going to stash the 500 pesos note with the money I expect to bring back with me, or blow it all on books.

No comments:

Post a Comment