Monday 10 March 2014

Puebla, Day Three

I took a walk into what I think is the south end of Puebla. Except for the direction of the sun it is difficult to maintain a sense of direction here even though the streets are laid out in grid pattern, making it hard to get lost here.  I felt compelled by what appeared to be trees in the distance.  I have mentioned already that this city has a tree deficit and I love trees.  I cannot have enough of them and I often wish I could live in a forest. I stopped in a park that has...TREES!!!.  Not a lot of them and it is right next to a thoroughfare so there are tonnes of traffic, but they were still lovely to see along with the bougainvillea bushes that look rather like azaleas.  I wandered from there into a poor rundown neighbourhood.  I felt no sense of menace while there and noticed how well dressed and well groomed the locals were.  On the way back I took a different street which happened to be the site of a university: Universidad Angelopolis, or The University of the City of Angels, I suppose.  Strange it is to see a university situated right next to a slum, but this I have also noticed in Mexico City so I wonder if I see a pattern here.  I also came across a huge craft and artesinal market and a humongous church which was open.  The interior seemed quite stark and austere but the height of the vaulted ceiling must have been that of a five or six storey buuilding.  It also sprawled and rambled into two other conjoined chapels, one rather ornate in the Baroque sense.  I did stop by a book stall and purchased a couple of novels in Spanish, both thrillers, brand new at a very cheap price, approximately eight dollars Canadian for both.
     I have noticed that tourists are very easy to identify in Mexico by one simple feature.  All the men are wearing capri pants and sandals and flip flops.  Mexican men very rarely dress this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment