Thursday 20 March 2014

Puebla, Day Thirteen

Not a bad day over all.  I sat in a couple of cafes with a new drawing and climbed up the Calzada Fuertes to the top of the hill, enjoyed the wooded park and spent time in the Cafe York again.  It turns out this is not a university campus after all but a type of conference centre.  It is also the site of the victory of Mexico over the French after they ruled the country for I think two years in 1862.  Can you imagine how different things would be now had the French stayed.  Chili con poutine, anyone?  Actually I might try making that, I'll bet it would taste great.  I did have a run in with the two vicious daschunds belonging to an obnoxious spoiled rich kid, you know, the kind we have in Vancouver.  They always wear designer sunglasses and talk in a kind of whiny sneer redolent of a life of privilege and entitlement.  It's a wonder they have any friends at all, but these kinds of people usually have tons of friends, all of them as vile and obnoxious as they are. I stood still to wait for the dogs to lose interest and leave and instead of kicking or trying to chase them off I simply addressed their owner calmly, in Spanish, to please call off his dogs.  Of course he didn't apologize after so I simply said ''Desculpas aceptadas'' or apologies accepted, which is a passive aggressive but very useful way of calling someone an asshole without having to use the word.
     After spending more than an hour in this lovely cafe I took a walk on a road that circumnavigates the entire hill commanding quite the view of Puebla and the surrounding region.  The air quality seems better today and walking is a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment