Sunday 23 March 2014

Puebla, Final Thoughts

This is my last day in Puebla and at noon I leave for Coyoacan.  Being here has been a mixed blessing and even though in my last post I resolved to never return here I think I might for a shorter visit, say for five or six days.  Two weeks is too long to spend here if you just want time to relax.  There is not enough green or quiet space in or near this city to make it feasible.  This morning, early, I took a long walk through the city, in a way as an act of reconciliation.  There is much architectural beauty here and I think it would be worth seeing again.  But not for two weeks.  Even at eight am the streets were full of music in some areas as street and sidewalk vendors and owners of small shops were already beginning to open to prepare for a new day of commerce.  The music itself is wonderful and it is almost like providing a soundtrack for a movie set in Latin America.
     There is a youngish man, I think in his early thirties, whom I have seen several times wandering around talking to himself in English.  He is not on a phone or bluetooth, I can tell the difference, having worked in the mental health biz for the last ten years.  He is clearly not well, alone, and from his accent of English, likely an American.  I really wonder how he managed to end up here and what has happened to strand him here in a state of mental illness and likely without recourse to medications or mental health services.  He doesn't seem to be destitute as he usually is carrying with him something to eat or drink.
     I have accomplished almost everything I have wanted to do while in Puebla.  I have bought at generous discounts ten books in Spanish that I get to lug back to Vancouver, I have done some really good artwork and have had plenty of opportunity to practice my Spanish and a good number of folks eager and willing to chat with me.  I have also had plenty of rest and quality sleep so, dispite the inconveniences and disappointments things have gone fairly well here.

No comments:

Post a Comment