Monday 12 May 2014

Why Bother? Or, Why Not?

There must be some kind of hidden, unwritten and unspoken blog etiquette that I still don't understand.  Anyway, I have decided that if there is anything that sucks about my church (and there is lots about my church that sucks) and I end up blogging about it then there is no point sending it to selected members of my church even if I am taking care not to send it to people whom I think would take my screed too personally or be offended by it.  They almost all get offended anyway and I am fed up with trying to communicate with these people.
I am amazed at how thin-skinned Anglicans are.  It is as if they already know what a mediocre job they do of Christianity and please don't remind them or you are going to get shunned because most of them are passive-aggressive cowards who wouldn't dare tell me to my face.  Perhaps better to avoid them and their milk and water worship altogether.  Okay, I'm being a bit unfair.  It isn't all milk and water and they aren't all compromised washouts as Christians.
That said, I have decided to send them nothing.  I don't even think I'm returning to this goddamn church.  But I probably will.  I don't know why.  I suppose that as long as I identify as Christian I will feel obligated to attend Christian worship and I am not returning to the evangelicals or the fundamentalists for the simple fact that they almost all remain universally anti-gay and I really think they need to come to terms with this.
On the other hand, what passes as Christianity in the Anglican Church, and at my parish church St. Paul's is so watered down that I really don't know why God allows them to exist.
I am still on the fence about leaving my church.  This could be just a bad time that I need to get through and maybe I will recover a sense of kindness towards the people there, and vice-versa, because here the bad blood definitely flows in both directions.  It would be nice.  On the other hand a summer off from church might be just wonderful and I really do not have any need to access Christ through the sacraments since he comes to me direct, and you know something boys and girls? He would do the same for you as well if you would give him a chance.  Why, you might never need to attend church again.  But I hope you still go, if for no other reason but to show the others how it's done.
Oops, I forgot, we must also not forget what the Pharisees did to Jesus and the Romans to his Apostles.  Still there?

No Anglicans were hurt during the making of this post (well, perhaps put just a little out of countenance.)

No comments:

Post a Comment