Thursday 4 April 2024

The Peacock 1200

 "Or the rest of that incestuous brood", says Francois flatly.  "You know as a second generation, almost first generation Canadian, especially having grown up in Quebec, I am completely mystified about the obsession and obsessive affection so many Anglo-Canadians still seem to hold for that institution.  I mean, it is just wrong on so many levels.  First of all, they have no business in this country, given that Canada is no longer a British entity and thanks to New France, never was actually.  But there is this whole question of colonialism and of how illegally the British Crown expropriated land belonging to the First Nations, who by UN charter, are entitled to have every square metre of that land returned to them.  And there is also the nonsense of the Governor General, since Canada is a completely sovereign nation and has, or should have, absolutely no need for this kind of foreign meddling, even  if it is strictly symbolic  I could go on..."

"But there is no need to", says Carl.  "I agree with you one hundred percent."

"As do I", says George.

"But we would be so much poorer without the monarchy", says Jeffrey. "Think of all that they bring to us."

"Rather, think of all they have taken", says George.

"Oh, don't start again."

"I'll shut my hole if you shut yours, honey."

"Deal."

No comments:

Post a Comment