Friday 12 April 2024

The Peacock 1209

 We all stay seated as a nameless terror seems to unify us in its grip.  Again the knocking, loud, rapid, furious.  Reluctantly I go over to the door.  There is no peephole, so I have to trust that I will survive this.  A tall man with short blonde hair, almost ridiculously handsome looms before me.  "Where is he?" he mutters coldly.

"Where is who?"  he shoves me aside and enters the house.

"Hey! no one said you can come in here", I shout, but it is too late.  He is furiously going from room to room, and now Carl is at my side.

"We have to stop him."  We corner him in my father's bedroom.  He shoves us both apart with what appears to be superhuman strength.  He goes in the other rooms, then upstairs, and all of us, Carl, Francois, George and Jeffrey all stand in the hallway, huddled together for protection and support.

"Who the fuck is that!" says Francois.

"Lindstrom", say I.

He must have flown straight over from Sweden."

Lindstrom is downstairs again demanding to know where the basement is, and there is another knock on the door, this time four cops, who charge in past me to overpower him.  They have him on his knees, in cuffs.  One of them, a young Asian guy, says to me, "We've been trailing him from the airport.  He tried to evade customs and quarantine. " I notice that they are all wearing covid masks... Then through the open door, a boy, likely no older than sixteen or seventeen, is approaching the house.  They have just dragged Lindstrom outside....

No comments:

Post a Comment