Wednesday 17 April 2024

The Peacock 1214

 "I'll put it in a glass of water and tomorrow I will grab one of Dad's flower pots from the basement and some dirt from the garden and plant it."  There is something almost preternaturally vigorous about this leafy stem.  The leaves appear so full, shiny and healthy. I am sure there must be a higher purpose in this gift.  "shall we join Francois in the kitchen?  I really must get up off this couch.  how long have I been sleeping?"

"I would say at least six hours."

"No wonder I'm feeling so rested.  I just might stay up for the rest of the day."

Keeping our voices low in whispers so as not to awaken our houseguests, we dig into the little feast  Francois has prepared: whole wheat toast, a jar of honey and a block of cheese.

"Did Carl tell you about what happened outside?"

"He even dreamed about it", says Carl.

"No way."

"It was Lindstrom", say I.  "Hhe actually forced his way inside and tried to conduct a search for Erik, but the police nabbed him just in time.  Then the kid came in."

"Kid?"

"It seems only I saw him.  He brought this sprig of lemon balm and asked that I give it to Chris.

"Who do you think it was"

"Well, in the dream, anyway, I saw him turn a pitcher of water into wine.  So, who do you think it was?"

"Well", says Francois, "There is no water nearby for him to walk on, so I imagine he wanted to do something to identify himself...

No comments:

Post a Comment