Sunday 14 April 2024

The Peacock 1211

 A hand is roughly shaking me by the shoulder.  As my eyes open, it is almost completely dark, save for a small light on the lower wall near the floor.  My father had some of those lights installed ten years ago, to make it easy to find his way to the bathroom for a midnight pee, or the kitchen for a midnight snack.  I see the darkened form of Carl´s rather anxious face hovering above me.  "Are you okay?" he says.

"I don't know."

"You were having a nightmare.  I heard you calling out."  I am fully clothed and lying on the couch.

"What time is it?"

"Almost two.  It seems you never made it to bed."  He plunks himself down at my feet, which I instinctively budge away to make room for him.

"I was dreaming."

"Yes, you were dreaming."

"Lindstrom came pounding at the front door, then barged his way in to look for Erik.  We couldn't stop him, but the police came immediately after.  They were chasing him from the airport for evading customs and the mandatory quarantine."

"That explains it", he says.

"Explains what?"

"The drama that was unfolding outside the house on the sidewalk.  You had fallen fast asleep and nothing seemed able to wake you."

"And I missed it."

"You dreamed it..."

No comments:

Post a Comment