Friday, 7 August 2026

2007

It has been a long drive, and Francois is alone in my father's house, horizontal on the couch, as always, propped up by cushions and writing on his laptop. "You're back", is all he says, just glancing up, then resuming his typing. "Wow, how's that for a welcome", says Carl, with grim humorous good will. Without looking up, he mutters, "Did I forget to wag my tail?" "Oh, you cat people", says Carl, letting himself drop onto the other half of the sofa, just missing Francois' bare feet as he pulls them out in the nick of time. "Always a flatterer." Erik and I have each taken an armchair. "Are you the only one here?" say I. "Until two minutes ago, yes, I would say so." "What are you working on?" asks Erik. "A letter to my mother who is finally recovered from covid. Her husband is still struggling but seems to be rallying. What about your mom, Carl?" "She is about to be discharged from hospital. I imagine she will be staying in New West, there is more room plus Melissa is a lot better with her than I am." "And, Jason and Lazarus?" "They went over to Maureen's this morning. They will be staying with the girls... and George and Jeffrey are hoping to lease the condo from you longterm" "We've already agreed", say I. "There is a text on my phone from Kenny: "Amaris and I have just left Richmond. May I presume we are invited for lunch?"

No comments:

Post a Comment