Tuesday, 18 August 2026

2017

"Ethan", say I, simultaneously shocked, delighted and irritated, "How did you find us here?" "I saw your car pass me when I arrived in New Westminster, so I thought of following you.  I almost went in to visit you in the big old mansion in Queen's Park, but there were too many people around so I rode away, but when I came back your car was just leaving, so I continued to follow. "Would you like to come in for lunch?  We are still eating and there's lots of food."  And I am remembering my own father's tradition of hospitality which, despite my own selfish and solitary nature, I am bound and determined to uphold, if only to honour his memory while living in his house. "If it wouldn't be too much trouble." "No trouble at all.  And please take off your shoes, if you don't mind.  Thanks, you can just leave them over here." "François, this is Ethan, who spent the night with us in the mansion.  He was so taken by our hospitality he decided to follow us all the way here on his bike." "I remember you", says Francois.  "From the Refuge.  Your name is Tron." "Ethan", he says politely. "Come sit with me here on the couch.  Christopher will bring you some lunch, won't you please, Christopher?" "Oh, you don't have to ask. "  Francois is showing him the document he has just drafted out and which we have all signed...

No comments:

Post a Comment