Tuesday 8 October 2019

Life As Performance Art 187

Here is another thing I recently wrote on Quora: "So, where do you get the idea that there is no obligation to help someone in need? This is part of our historical social contract as human beings. We are all interdependent and no one can live without the support and help of others. This is universal. If you prefer not to offer help or support to others, then that is your choice and you will not be breaking any laws, though I believe that is a bit of a legal grey zone, and sometimes criminal prosecution can occur when help and aid is refused to people who are in distress. That said, maybe you could ask yourself one simple question: “What kind of person do I really want to be?” If your reply is a selfish, lonely and hateful monster, albeit a highly successful one, then by all means, go your way and ignore others in need. However, if you deign to reach out in kindness to others, you are opening your heart, your mind, and your life, as well as helping another being, and on top of this, you will also be acquiring for yourself a soul." I would have to say that my own record in living up to my own words is mixed, or perhaps chequered. I don't try to help everyone. I am not able to. There is so much need and there are so many people in distress on the street that often, in order to just get to work, or an appointment or for an outing, I have to almost pretend that I am not surrounded by people who often seem to be practically dying. Very few people seem to notice those who have to live on the street. When they are alone they are almost always absorbed in their little tech toys, though I have also seen younger homeless people looking at their smartphones. When with others, a lot of people will chatter and laugh and make bon vivant as though they were walking by the seaside and all is right and perfect in their little universe. But that is how most people cope with the very visible misery of homelessness that surrounds everyone. They shut it off, pretend it doesn't exist, put their conscience on leave. But when we put our conscience on leave, then we are always running the risk that it will not return home. I have had to refuse some panhandlers. Recently on Commercial Drive, this tall rangy looking person of colour with dreadlocks, who is generally quite aggressive and gets in people's face. I suspect addiction issues with this one. I will not give to someone like that. I don't want to encourage in your face rudeness. He didn't want to take no for an answer, so I said, I already said no, respect it, or something like that. He leaves me alone now. Then, just the other day, another aggressive panhandler approached me for spare change. I had just been shopping and asked if I could offer him a banana. He said, no, I want money. I replied that obviously it's for something you don't need, and walked away. I could have been kinder, and I am aware how homelessness and being on the street can affect and impact one's emotions and ability to be rational. By the same token, not everyone who panhandles is homeless. Yesterday I was meeting up with a client at the mental health boarding home where he lives. One of the tenants left just ahead of us, and there he was at the intersection, approaching cars stopped at the red light to ask for handouts from the drivers. People need more than money. They need kindness, empathy, contact, a sense of connection. But this can be very hard to follow through when you have absolutely no idea of who they are or what they are really needing. By the way, I am not always a callous monster towards panhandlers. I do give sometimes, when I am able to spare some money, which isn't often, given that I am also poor, and usually the contact is positive, there are expressions of gratitude and well-wishing on both sides, and the sense that the day has just been improved for both of us. I only wish I could do more, but I have had to accept that I cannot, but that the little I do offer must surely be better than nothing? That the very least I can do is stay aware and not close my eyes, my ear or my heart to the many people suffering all around us, and through no fault of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment