Sunday 13 October 2019

Life As Performance Art 192

This is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. Or Turkey Day, for the nonvegetarians. I am having friends over for breakfast tomorrow, and I am not cooking a turkey, because it will be breakfast, and turkey is not an appropriate food for breakfast, and also because we are all vegetarians. Well, my friend is a vegetarian because his girlfriend, who is coming over with him for breakfast tomorrow, happens to be a vegetarian, and as some of you know, Gentle Reader, I have been vegetarian for most of the last thirty years, or so. So, I'm serving up bread pudding instead. That's right, Dutch recipe. Lots of milk and eggs, lots of cinnamon, cloves and other spice, containing apples as well and I will probably serve it with heavy cream and/or yogurt, but we shall see. My friends are bringing fruit and cheese. My one complaint is that my apartment is so small, and it can be difficult even accommodating one visitor, let alone two, but I have managed before, and one thing I am giving thanks for on this Thanksgiving is having friends to feed a lovely breakfast to. I have actually lived in smaller places where I have entertained even more guests. I remember some of the soirees I would host in my little room and kitchen in an old house in Mount Pleasant when I was a callow twenty-three, and everyone seemed to find a piece of floor to get comfortable and coffee and tea and food were all served up without reservation, hesitation or embarrassment. I was totally in my element, and I have long enjoyed hosting others. I remember especially the onion soup party I had one afternoon, with five visitors. A couple of days before, I collected from each an onion, and I did the rest. Of course, I'm still doing all the work, as usual, but others have cheerfully accommodated me in the past so now I like to think that it's my turn. Sad that none of the Anglican hypocrites in my church ever think of asking me if I'm alone or if I'm okay this Thanksgiving, but I have said it before and I am saying it again: Anglicans have got to be the most selfish Christians on earth. Well, that doesn't mean that I have to imitate them, but that is God's problem, not mine. I am also serving a big potful of dark Cuban roast, fairtrade and organic (for all you virtue signalers out there) coffee, and I happen to be enjoying a cup right now. There is always plenty to give thanks for. Even selfish Anglicans, especially for the fact that some of them are actually pretty kind and generous (though they are a minority. it really is a shame that some people can warm the same pew, Sunday after Sunday for decades, and absolutely nothing of the truth of the Gospels or the Holy Spirit ever penetrates their lives. The church really needs to address this). I just heard on the radio about how gratitude is good for our health, and it is. In fact, gratitude puts us directly in contact with God. No one wants to admit this because now everyone is a secular atheist, or spiritual but not religious, but it's still true all the same. Gratitude, giving thanks, regardless of what we believe or do not believe, puts us in direct contact with the Living God who created and sustains all that is (and this does not rule out evolution, by the way!) There will always be things to give thanks for. Start now, this moment, and if you can't think of anything to be grateful for, just remember this, Gentle Reader. This morning, you woke up breathing. Now aren't you just a little bit grateful? It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment