Tuesday 29 October 2019

It's All Performance Art 2

Life is annoying. I was just barely awake before 5 this morning and already the manic elephant was stampeding across my ceiling. I have emailed management about this. But it's nothing serious, just a chronic annoyance. I have just learned that the bus drivers are about to go on strike. There is no telling what that is going to mean, because they don't always interrupt actual service, but this is worst-case, and I am able to walk almost everywhere, unlike some people. We had a four month full strike in 2001 and everyone had to walk during that time. It is hard not to take things too seriously, under the circumstances, but I still think we have to rise above this. I even wonder if I should have paid for my compass pass for next month, November, but I'm sure things will work out somehow, that the employers of the bus drivers will see the light and give them what they are asking for, and I believe their demands to be reasonable. We do get easily upset, since everything and our lives often seem to just dangle from a thread, or at a very delicate balance. Life is hard. I get it. But we don't have to let it weigh us down, even though it always does. And then there is climate change and the horrible threat that is looming over us. But we still don't know how it it's all going to look, or turn out, which makes it all the more terrifying. So, how do we cope? Is it really that bad? Could be even worse. Or it might be better, but we don't want the major polluters to get off with a pass, so of course we are going to emphasize the negative, since that is the most likely outcome. Not inevitable. But we are still going to emphasize the fear, the horror and the negative, because that is the only thing that can get enough people mobilized to actually do something to help stop climate change. Are we going to succeed? Who only knows? It could be that we have gone past that point and soon it's schnitzel for you, Tootsie! We have to rediscover joy, in our lives, in our communities, in one another. This is imperative. Yes, it is all so very sad, serious, and grave. But we have to rediscover joy and laughter. We have to reclaim humour, or then we are truly going to be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment