Friday 22 January 2021

The Peacock 48

 "Would you call this incest?" Carl asks.  In the half light his face takes on a dramatic emphasis as light and shadow play around his magnificent cheekbones.  His face would be very dramatic as a gigantic lino block or woodcut.  

Too close.  And I have been calling this incest, except for one little detail, and now I think will tell Carl...everything.  "The thing is, we were all set to have sex. We were both lying on the bed, still dressed.  Then, suddenly, it isn't that I couldn't.  More, I just didn't know. I felt completely bewildered about doing this with my young brother-in-law, and strangely, Greta was at the moment very far from my thoughts. I have always been kind of ambivalent when it comes to sex, even with Greta, so, I don't think that her little brother was the only reason she wanted to leave.  In fact, I know it wasn't. 

"So what happened then?"

"Really...nothing. Eric and I just lay there together, cuddling on top of the bed, then we just sort of fell asleep.  I forgot that Greta was returning that very same night.  So when she came into the bedroom and saw us there …"

"She caught you two canoodling"

"But it wasn't even quite canoodling..."

"But on the same bed she shared with you..."

"She never really even mentioned it.  She didn't even seem all that surprised, though with her I always felt like I was waiting for the other shoe to drop...She just said that she was flying back to Sweden in five days, once she had set all her affairs here in order, that she wasn't coming back and that only her brother was going with her. I almost said that nothing happened between us, but she waved me off with her hand, then went to sleep on the  couch.. . 


No comments:

Post a Comment