Friday 15 January 2021

The Peacock 41

 "Who prepared this wonderful stir-fry?" wonders Carol

"I did", says Aaron, "Just following our talk this afternoon."

"It is heavenly!"

"Thank you."

"So, then, Aaron, are you part of the community here?"

It appears that Carol is most happy while she is eating.

"You could call me an honorary associate."

Carl says, "You're family."

"Are you here often?"

"Once a year anyway.  Usually just after my annual trip to Latin America."

Jesús says, "He goes to Colombia."  

"Also Costa Rica.  I have a friend I stay with in Medellín, and other friends, a family, I stay with in Monteverde."

"But Colombia is more beautiful", says Jesús, smiling.

"And more dangerous", quips Carol.

"Yes," says Jesús, chuckling, "In Colombia we are both beautiful and dangerous."

"No te jactes, chamaco", Aaron says with a dry smile.

"What did you just say?" Melissa asks.

Jesús replies, "Stop bragging, kid."

"Muy bien, saltamonte", says Aaron, laughing.

"What did you just say? "asks Carl.

"Very good, grasshopper." says Aaron

The two community brothers still haven't spoken a word, and have hardly even looked up from their plates.  I am beginning to wonder if I'm not the only one here who is sick.  Sometimes the Filipino appears to be trying not to smile or laugh.  The white guy is impossible to read.

"Spanish is such a beautiful language," Carl says.  "I would like to learn it."

"I would call it deceptive.  For example, last year when I was visiting my friend in Colombia we were driving on the highway, and I noticed a sign that said Encienda Luces.  Now, what do the rest of you think that would mean, y Jesús, cállate por favor."

Jesús translates, "He just told me to shut up." he is smiling.  It is nice to see him come out of his shell.  I wish he or someone would help me get out of mine.  

Aaron continues, "Now Encienda Luces could be the name of a famous Colombian torch singer, you know, like Dusty Springfield, only in Spanish with a salsa orchestra.  Or it could be the name of a swanky Gringo all inclusive resort.  Or maybe Encienda Luces is the name of a quaint colonial village with cobblestone streets and bougainvillea everywhere, just across the valley from the mountain where Juan Valdez picks his coffee beans."

Jesús is giggling uncontrollably.

"Okay, Jesús", says Aaron, "Would you be so kind as to tell everyone here the English translation for Encienda Luces?"

Jesús proudly announces, "Turn on your headlights," and suddenly even the two dour Community brothers are joining in the raucous laughter.

As the laughter dies down, Carol asks, "So our dinner tonight is vegetarian?"

Melissa replies, "I think everyone here has been advised that all the food here is vegetarian."

"But not vegan?"

"No, Carol, you needn't worry.  We are not vegans here."

The blonde, white community brother speaks for the first time, "What is the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan, anyway?"

"A vegetarian has a brain", replies Aaron, and again everyone is laughing.

Carl says, "A vegan is a vegetarian who doesn't eat any animal products, like eggs, cheese, milk, yogurt, honey, and so on."

"My younger daughter has turned into a vegan," Carol says.  "It has turned her into one dreadful self-righteous bore.", she says while scraping the last of her food from her plate, "And she hates the Royal Family.  I don't know what I did wrong with her.  Perhaps I wasn't with her enough, did too much touring."

I ask her, "Do you still tour?"

"Oh God, no.  I'm all but retired.  But I will perform for you during our stay here, if you'd like.  There is a lovely baby grand in the other reception room."  She dabs her mouth with a white linen napkin, as though trying to prevent herself from saying anymore, then, like a well behaved schoolgirl sits up erect, facing forward, her hands folded on the table in front of her soiled dinner plate...  




No comments:

Post a Comment