Saturday 9 January 2021

The Peacock 36

 I am so glad to get out of there, to be outside again.  I don't know which I was desiring more, to simply be outside or to get out of that bloody living room.  It is a lovely room, of course, and what an interesting talk we just heard.  But that's enough for now.  That is really quite enough.  The air is so fragrant and cool right now.  That perfect cool of a May afternoon.  The azaleas look more brilliant than ever as the late sun almost ignites them into a huge orange and yellow flame.  This place is truly magical.  Here are the tulip beds.  I wonder how Carl and Melissa find all the time to take care of this place.  But we were just told that there are others living here in community, and we are going to meet some of them at dinner.  Well, after all the beautiful food they have been cramming us with, I can't say that I am going to go hungry here.  I am likely going to get fat, if anything.

I know where I am going.  This is the trail that Carl and I were cutting together today.  It is rather rough and clean looking.  It is a bit of a shortcut, I suppose, to the magnolia. This is where it gets a bit wilder, rather a strange integration of formal garden and West Coast wilderness.  Rhododendrons and azaleas aplenty in their polychromatic riot, flourishing beneath massive trunks of old growth cedar and hemlock. and a plethora of evergreen sword ferns and deer ferns beneath the deciduous pale green canopy of newly unfurled bracken and ostrich ferns.  And foxglove already starting to bloom.  This is an elfin paradise.  How do they manage this place, anyway?

Here is the magnolia tree.  The single flower just beginning to unfurl does seem a bit bigger than this morning.  I am glad they put a couple of benches here. Of course I want to see the peacock again.  If only to know that it is real.  And I did hear him again when I was waking up from my nap this morning,  But that could have been a dream.  I am still really afraid of asking anyone about the peacock while I am here.  It could be just a dream...Or maybe a hallucination....

No comments:

Post a Comment