Monday 4 January 2021

The Peacock 32


"To be fair", Aaron says, "Father Griffin has changed a lot, an awful lot since thirty years ago."

Melissa interjects, "You actually saw a lot more of that side of him, Aaron.  Even I am shocked by some of what you are reporting.  Even after he tried to shut me up and get rid of us with a lovely little bribe."

"I think this is all in the most dreadful, terrible bad taste," says Carol.  "I can hardly believe that Father Griffin would ever consent to this kind of, this kind of character assassination."

The large orange cat, as though to signal his sympathy to the famous concert pianist, gets up, stretches, arching his back, then leaps to the floor and walks out of the room.

"Father Griffin has insisted that we do this", Carl says.  "He says that for him this is an important act of penance, and we fully support him in this."

"Well, then do proceed, I suppose, " Carol assents.

"It was just days after when I was scheduled to have coffee with the journalist who interviewed me for the church magazine, Cornerstone. The idea was, since she spoke Spanish as a second language-she had done missionary work in Guatemala for several years, that maybe she could help me get started with the language. So, I was all set to meet up with her, then she gave a phone call to cancel our visit, saying that she no longer wanted to see me, given how I had slandered to her Father Griffin."


"Well, I could hardly blame her, you know," says Carol snarkily.


"Apparently, she had gone straight to Griffin to tell him that she did not want to be part of a church where such dreadful and illicit acts are being done in the clergy house.  Then, Griffin somehow twisted it all around-something he was very good at doing-, persuading her that I had a very fertile imagination, and that no one would even dream of doing anything to disparage the church and bring shame upon the Holy Name of the one she is purported to serve.  He also persuaded her that I was the real problem, given my proclivity for gossip.  But wait, there's more and it gets even more sick and twisted..."


No comments:

Post a Comment