Friday 29 January 2021

The Peacock 55

 "It was quite a long car ride, since we lived out by UBC.  Father Stephen wanted to know what happened, and I said nothing happened outside of drinking too much scotch with Father Griffin.   I did not mention that he tried to kiss me.  We otherwise said nothing.  I was of course terrified about my dad finding out.  We pulled up in front of the house.  It still wasn't very late, maybe nine or nine thirty.  Instead of just letting me out of the car, Father Stephen insisted on accompanying me to the door, as though he was delivering the spoils of war.  My father received him quite warmly, since they were friends as well as colleagues.  We went into the den, Dad closed the door, and we sat and talked.  Stephen explained how he had caught me in the nick of time and rescued me from Father Griffin's depredations.  I was, to my surprise, feeling suddenly remarkably well, and surprised also at how quickly the effects of the scotch had worn off. I was also strongly reassured that I was not going to be punished for anything.  In fact, all that concerned Dad was that I was okay, and he seemed more relieved than anything that I had been rescued.  and I felt something similar, though lingering in the back of my mind was a faint shadow of disappointment that nothing had happened between us.  Of course I wasn't going to admit this.    My dad then dismissed me so that he could talk more at length with Father Stephen.  As I got up to leave, so did my father get off his chair, approach me.  He enfolded me in a long warm bearhug.  He whispered in my ear, welcome home, son.  I love you.  I went upstairs to my bedroom, and while my dad and Father Stephen were plotting to see how they could get Father Griffin out of the church, I lay down on my bed, and shook and wept, and eventually fell into a deep and dreamless sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment