Thursday 9 May 2024

The Peacock 1236

 Just as I am settling on top of my father's bed for my third sleep of the night I hear the characteristic boop boopity boop of my phone for a new message.  It is from Erik.  "Phone me right now, please.  I have more to tell you."

"Hi."

"Long time no see", he says.

"Okay.  You do most of the talking because my guests are still asleep in the next room."  not entirely true since there is a bathroom in between us.

"I spent the last five years taking care of Enrique.  I was vacationing in La Costa Del Sol, where we met on the beach.  He was already pretty old.  The juicy details can wait till we see each other, but he basically adopted me, and I was to take care of him as he slid into dementia. He did leave me a tidy sum of money which my sister and Lindstrom have been trying to get their hands on.  Then several times since after Enrique died, I was being visited by this boy who knew way too much to be just someone ordinary.  He told me all about you, and that I should get in contact with you and that the money I got from Enrique could be used to help you and your friends...


No comments:

Post a Comment