Wednesday 29 May 2024

The Peacock 1256

 She doesn't answer, just staring at me shocked and stupefied.

"I imagine you have heard of her.  She is quite famous."

"You do not know what you have just done for me, Christopher", her voice an urgent whisper.

"I don't imagine I do."

"It was Carol Barlow-Meade who was all set to mentor me when I was fourteen. Then life happened." She takes a long draught of her coffee, lets the mug slam itself down on the table.  "Please tell me you are not lying.  Please, you 're not having me on."

"I would love to hear you play sometime."

"That, I'm afraid, is going to have to wait.  I'm still very rusty and need to practice a lot more.  But there are only so many hours in the day, and one does have to work for a living, dammit..."

No comments:

Post a Comment