Friday 22 May 2015

NOW!!!

Recovery of course involves patience, and relaxing our expectations of how well we are going to do.  I still find it difficult to walk for extended periods without feeling, not tired, but weak, but I also notice that as I keep pushing forward I actually do okay.  Still, even though I will continue to try to push my limit it is equally important to know when and how to rest.  I think I did around six and a half miles walking today and I still feel okay.  Not perfectly there, but getting there anyway.

There are a lot of things to be grateful for: that despite the nuisance of all the follow-up medical appointments awaiting me, possibly for the rest of my natural life, I live in a country where this kind of care is available for everyone, regardless of their socio-economic status.  I also am still able to live, on my low income, in one of the most expensive cities in the world.  Regardless of what neoliberal economics and all the previously democratic governments they have taken hostage have done to shred our social infrastructure I have actually found a decent, if small apartment to live in for more than a dozen years, that is affordable to me and safe and well-maintained and well-managed.  All I need now is patience, which I am telling God to give me--NOW!!!

We have our problems here.  It has become prohibitively expensive for people on low and modest incomes to live in my city Vancouver.  Young people are moving out in record numbers, despite the lame excuses being bleated out this morning on the radio by our own Mayor Moonbeam (aka Gregor Robertson) that Vancouver is also attracting a lot of new people (all carrying bags of money with them, of course). 

The pushback is building and soon there is going to be so much opposition and noncooperation with this government's obscene bartering of our city's most precious asset, which is the people who live here, to satisfy the greed of morally bankrupt property developers that we are eventually going to see things change.  The people are beginning to speak and soon we are going to shout and then the walls are going to come tumbling down!

No comments:

Post a Comment